1. Preparing a show cause response

If you are required to show cause this means you must provide a reason in writing why your enrolment shouldn't be cancelled.

We will notify you via your student email account if you are required to show cause. You will have 20 working days from the date of the notification to submit a show cause response.

General advice

  • Don’t panic
  • Submit your show cause response by the due date
  • Speak to someone at Student Advocacy and Support or at the Student Centre for advice. We're here to help.

More information is available in the Academic Progression Procedures.

How to write a show cause response

Address your response to your faculty’s Associate Dean (Academic) and include:

In your letter, you should:

  • 1. Give any reasons why you have made unsatisfactory academic progress since your last academic warning (e.g. health problems, personal problems, financial stress, any relevant difficulties), and
  • 2. Explain the practical steps you have taken to address these issues (e.g. you have developed a study plan with Student Services, you have made counselling appointments to manage stress and anxiety, etc.)

If you’ve previously been required to show cause, in your letter you must also:

  • Explain how you have met any conditions set by the Associate Dean (Academic) since your previous show cause response.

Due date

If you want to continue studying uninterrupted, submit your response by the due date listed on your show cause notification.

As long as we receive your response by the due date, you can continue studying while your case is being considered.

If you’ve decided to take an interruption, submit your response by January 5 to re-enrol in Semester 1, or June 30 to re-enrol in Semester 2.

If you're studying at UQ College and you've decided to take an interruption, submit your response by December 1 to re-enrol in Trimester 1, April 1 to re-enrol in Trimester 2, or July 15 to re-enrol in Trimester 3.

Important: If you don't submit a show cause response by the due date, your enrolment will be cancelled. If you are in Australia on a Student visa, we are required by law to notify the Department of Home Affairs if a student's enrolment is cancelled.