2. Your first week
This checklist (PDF) will help you get started during your first week.
- Plan to attend and place in your diary the compulsory Graduate School Orientation Session. (This may be held up to 1 month after you start)
- Contact and meet with your enrolling unit’s postgraduate administration officer (PGAO) and find your work station. This will also include instructions on how to access occupational health & safety (OH&S) training within your first two weeks. Ensure that you understand who your OH&S coordinator is.
- If you are an international student it is compulsory for you to attend a 'getting started' session through Student Services.
Online training and forms
- With your postgraduate administration officer, complete the online commencement form so that the Graduate School can process your enrolment. Due to University regulations you cannot complete the commencement form prior to your commencement date.
- When you have completed your induction and the online commencement form, the Graduate School’s Candidature team will process your enrolment. Once your enrolment is processed, you will receive an email from the Candidature team containing information on:
- Your UQ username and password.
- Checking your student email. As an enrolled student of The University of Queensland, all official correspondence will be sent to your student email address. Please note that it is a condition of candidature to check your student email account on a regular basis, or set up an automatic redirection. Please familiarise yourself with the UQ policy on email for staff and students.Your student email begins with an 's' followed by numbers.
- Maintaining your mySI-net student record. (It is a legal requirement to have a local address in your mySI-net student record).
- Getting your Student ID card. You will require a UQ student card for library and other essential services. This card will be available for collection from a Unicard outlet.
- Complete the compulsory Fire Safety Training online.
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
If you have arranged your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) via UQ, you can apply for your OSHC card after you arrive in Brisbane and have a local address. It is a simple five step process that can be completed online through the Allianz Global Assistance website. Read the How to order your card online (PDF) information sheet.
Important information and policies
- Visit RHD Current Students for information on managing your candidature.
- We recommend bookmarking this page or making it your homepage.
- Familiarise yourself with your enrolling unit’s website as well as local policies and procedures, along with the RHD section of the my.UQ website, which contains important information about requesting changes to your candidature.
Familiarise yourself with UQ’s rules and policies regarding Research Higher Degree candidature. These documents can be found in the UQ Policy and Procedures Library (PPL). In particular pay attention to:
- Research Higher Degree Candidate Policies and Procedures
- Research Higher Degree Candidate Charter
- Familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities as an RHD candidate, including grievance procedures, should you ever need them: