Once you have accepted your offer, you can start making arrangements to commence your HDR program.

One of the first things you should do is email your HDR Liaison Officer to let them know when you plan to commence your HDR program, so they can finalise your enrolment.

International students should also apply for a student visa, if required.

Student visas

The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for issuing all Australian visas, including student visas.

A UQ agent can help with your visa application. You can find a list of approved agents on the Future Students website.

If you require a student visa you should apply for the student visa subclass 500. You may be asked to provide your Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) policy number for your student visa application. If UQ has arranged the OSHC for you, the policy number can be found in the notes section of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document.

Read further information regarding Overseas Student Health Cover, which is a compulsory requirement for student visa holders.

Scholarship payments

If you have been awarded a Graduate School scholarship this will be activated as part of your enrolment. If you are already enrolled please contact your enrolling unit's HDR liaison officer (HLO) to commence and activate your scholarship payments via the scholarship commencement webform.

Please note the scholarship commencement webform is required in order to activate your scholarship payments.

Living allowances are paid on a fortnightly basis. Please note that your first payment can take up to four weeks from the commencement date therefore you should ensure that you have sufficient funding available in the first instance.

Delayed commencement

If you find that you are unable to commence within the research quarter stated on your offer of admission, and/or offer of scholarship support, you may be able to seek approval for a delayed commencement and a deferral to your offer(s).

Other services offered by UQ

UQ can arrange your Airport Reception and take you to your temporary accommodation if required. Please note you are responsible for the cost of temporary accommodation. Upon arrival in Brisbane, UQ can assist you in finding Permanent Accommodation. Please note the Graduate School does not arrange Airport Pick up or Accommodation Services.