If you've failed a course with a grade of 3 – or a non-graded "N" – you may be eligible for a supplementary assessment. This page summarises key details about supplementary assessment. For more information, see the Supplementary Assessment Procedures.
What is supplementary assessment?
A supplementary assessment is designed to give you a second-chance at achieving a passing grade for a course.
It isn't a repeat of an exam, or a specific assignment – it's designed to test the learning outcomes for the entire course.
Supplementary assessment can take any form (e.g. oral, written, examination etc.) The highest grade you can receive is a 4.
Supplementary assessment isn't available for every course.
More information: Supplementary Assessment Procedures.
When can I apply for supplementary assessment?
Supplementary assessment is only granted in accordance with the rules. Please read:
- Your program rules, which are available on the Courses and Programs website. Search for your program and click the relevant page to view your program rules.
- Division 3 of the General Award Rules, which are available on the UQ Policies and Rules page.
Once you’ve read the relevant rules, and if you think you satisfy the eligibility requirements, you can apply for a supplementary assessment.
How to apply for a supplementary assessment
- Log in to mySI-net.
- Select myPage > myRequests > Supplementary Assessment.
- Select the "Request" checkbox for the relevant course.
- Click "Next Step".
- Acknowledge you have read the General Award Rules, Division 3.
- Click "Submit".
Applications are due by 5pm on the fifth calendar day following the release of results.
You will be notified of the outcome via your student email address.
You can view your application status by clicking the link under the "Decision" column for the relevant course.
If mySI-net is unavailable, please fill out an Application for Supplementary Assessment form (PDF) and submit it to your faculty.
UQ College students must submit their application form to UQ College.
When is supplementary assessment held?
Supplementary examinations are held during the University’s supplementary examination periods:
- Semester 1: July.
- Semester 2: December.
- Year-long courses: December.
- Summer Semester: March.
Other forms of supplementary assessment (i.e. tests other than an exam) are held in:
- Semester 1: July and August.
- Semester 2: December and January.
- Year-long courses: December and January.
- Summer Semester: March.
UQ College supplementary assessment is held within the first two weeks of the following trimester.
When are supplementary assessment results released?
Supplementary assessment results are typically finalised within:
- Semester 1: within 10 calendar days of the supplementary examination date.
- Semester 2: within 21 calendar days of the supplementary examination date.
- Summer Semester: within 10 calendar days of the supplementary examination date.
The result will be displayed as "xSy", where:
- "x" is the grade you were awarded before the supplementary assessment, and
- "y" is the grade you achieved in the supplementary assessment.
More information: Grading System Procedures.