If you're an international student and your student visa is due to expire soon, you will need to:

  1. Apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the University.
  2. Apply to extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). 
  3. Apply to renew your student visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection

You will need a new CoE and proof of OSHC before you can apply to renew your student visa.

We recommend you apply for a new CoE at least three months before your visa is due to expire. 

How to apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment

To apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), please:

  1. Complete the Application to Extend Studies and for New CoE form (PDF)
  2. Gather the required supporting evidence. 
  3. Submit your form to the relevant school or faculty (or to the Graduate School, if you're an HDR student). 

Your application will only be approved if it meets strict eligibility criteria. Please ensure you read the form carefully and support your application with evidence.

Relevant evidence might include:

  • a medical certificate (if you were sick),
  • emails or correspondence from the University, or
  • a statement from a relevant authority.

If your application is approved, the relevant school or faculty (or the Graduate School) will arrange for a new Confirmation of Enrolment. 

The new CoE will be sent to your student email account along with instructions about how to renew your student visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.


Visit a Student Centre or contact SHOC if you have any questions about extending your Confirmation of Enrolment, or renewing your student visa.