International students need a valid visa to study at UQ. If your student visa is due to expire soon, you will need to:

  1. Apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the University
  2. Apply to extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), and then
  3. Apply to renew your student visa through the Department of Home Affairs.

We recommend applying for a new CoE at least three months before your visa is due to expire. You need a new CoE and proof of OSHC before you can apply to renew your student visa.

If you're an HDR candidate and you've recently submitted your thesis, you do not need to provide a new CoE while your thesis is under examination. More information is available from the Department of Home Affairs.

Apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment

Apply online

Applications are only approved if they meet strict eligibility criteria

Before you submit the online form, make sure you carefully read all instructions and attach evidence to support your application. Relevant evidence might include:

  • a medical certificate (if you were sick)
  • emails or correspondence from the University, or
  • a statement from a relevant authority.

If your application is approved, the relevant school or faculty, or the Graduate School, will arrange for a new Confirmation of Enrolment. 

The new CoE will be sent to your student email account along with instructions about how to renew your student visa through the Department of Home Affairs.


Visit a Student Centre or contact SHOC if you have any questions about extending your Confirmation of Enrolment, or renewing your student visa.