Change of name

If your name is incorrect in mySI-net, you can apply to have it updated.

When you submit a request, you must provide a scan or photograph of current and original documents that confirm your identity.

We can only change your name to reflect what is shown on appropriate documents. We can't make any other changes.

The documents you can provide include:


  • Australian passport
  • Foreign passport
  • Australian driver's licence
  • Department of Home Affairs ImmiCard.


  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Change of name certificate
  • Australian proof of age card.

Acceptable for under-18 students

  • Australian secondary student card.

Submit a request

If you're a coursework student applying to change your name for a July 2019 graduation ceremony, please submit a request no later than 5pm on 5 July 2019.

Request now

Change of name order for graduation

If you want to change the order of your name on your graduation documents, you will have an opportunity to submit a request about six weeks before graduation.

Potential graduands will receive an email with instructions about how to change their name order via 'Graduation' in mySI-net.

Follow the steps in the email to ensure your name is displayed appropriately on your graduation documents.

Name changes and HELP loans

If you have a HELP loan, your name and date of birth in mySI-net have to match the name and date of birth held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

If you change your name in mySI-net, please also change your name with the ATO. The easiest way to do this is through a myGov account or by phoning the ATO.

Change of address or contact details

Log in to mySI-net to update your address or contact details:


  1. Go to 'Personal Details' > 'Addresses'.
  2. Enter your new address details. 

Mobile and other phone numbers

  1. Go to 'Personal Details' > 'Telephone Numbers'.
  2. Enter your new phone number.

Emergency contact

  1. Go to 'Personal Details' > 'Emergency Contact'.
  2. Ensure all details are correct.

Change of gender

Submit a request

No supporting documentation is required to make this change. Please note, your gender is not included on any academic records.

Request now