When can I change my fee status?

You may be eligible to change your fee status from fee-paying international student to fee-paying domestic student if you have been granted:

  • Australian permanent residency,
  • Australian humanitarian visa,
  • Australian citizenship, or
  • New Zealand citizenship.

Fee-paying domestic students still pay tuition fees, but these are typically lower than those paid by international students.

Please apply to change your fee status as soon as you receive written confirmation about your new residency, visa, or citizenship status.

If you have become an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you may also be eligible to apply for a Commonwealth Supported Place.

How to change your fee status

  1. Complete the Application to Change Status form (PDF).
  2. Submit it to a Student Centre.

Forms must be submitted no later than the relevant Census Date:

  • Semester 1: 31 March.
  • Semester 2: 31 August.
  • Summer Semester: 18 December.

Once approved, the change in fee status will come into effect at the next applicable Census Date.

Applying for a Commonwealth Supported Place

If you have become an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Commonwealth Supported Place.

To apply, you must submit an application to QTAC for the next available offer round.

You will have to consult the QTAC website for relevant application procedures and deadlines.

To support your application, you may also need to submit a:

  • certified copy of your passport details page, and a
  • certified copy of your new residency, visa, or citizenship.


If you have any questions about applying for a Commonwealth Supported Place, please:

More information is also available for fee-paying undergraduate students.