This page is for current UQ students who want to undertake cross-institutional study at a university other than UQ.

If you're a student from another university and you want to undertake cross-institutional study at UQ, please see information on Future Students.

Applying for cross-institutional study

Cross-institutional study is available to current UQ students who want to complete a relevant course at another university because it isn't offered at UQ.

Reasons for applying for cross-institutional study are usually restricted to:

  • substantial and justifiable academic reasons,
  • relocation for work commitments, or
  • compassionate reasons preventing you from completing a course at UQ.

As long as you have approval from your faculty or school, you can undertake cross-institutional study and maintain UQ as your home university.

How to apply

It is your responsibility to organise your own cross-institutional enrolment. Unfortunately, we can't help you with application processes for other universities.

Allow plenty of time to deal with the administration at both UQ and the other university. Cross-institutional study is a complex administrative arrangement.

You will have to comply with the other university's due dates, policies and procedures for the study you undertake there.

What do I need to do at UQ?

  1. Complete the Application for Cross Institutional Enrolment at Another University form (PDF).
  2. Complete the cross institutional application form from the university you want to study at.
  3. Attach course outlines for each course you want to enrol in. 
  4. Submit to your faculty.

Your application can take up to four weeks to process, so please allow enough time.

After you submit your application, we will have to liaise with the other university and the other university may need to liaise with the relevant Australian Government department.

International students

If you're an international student, you will need to check:

  • whether the other university can accept international cross-institutional students,
  • what fees are involved, and
  • whether your visa can accommodate the enrolment.

You have to complete your UQ program by the end date on your Confirmation of Enrolment.

Students on a scholarship

If you're studying at UQ on a scholarship, you may need permission of your scholarship provider before you can undertake cross-institutional study.

Please contact the scholarship provider yourself.

Transferring credit from cross-institutional study

To have credit transferred to your UQ program after you've completed approved cross-institutional study, please visit your school or faculty office and submit an official and original academic transcript from the other university.

If you undertake cross-institutional study in your final semester, check when the other university releases its results.

The other university may not release results in time for you to attend a graduation ceremony at UQ.