The University has a system in place for dealing with complaints and grievances.

If you have a complaint

In order to resolve a problem or complaint, you have to submit your complaint to the correct place.

Where you submit a complaint will vary, depending on whether your grievance is about an academic or an administrative matter, or whether it is related to your treatment as a person.

As a first step, we encourage you to read the Student Grievance Resolution Policy, Procedures and Guidelines, so you can understand your options and how you might proceed. 

Select one of the below to find out where you need to submit your complaint:

Academic matters – assessment and exams

Grievances about assessment matters (including exams and higher degree theses) are addressed, as appropriate, by your school, faculty, or the Dean of the Graduate School in accordance with:

Please note that appeals to the University Senate (SSAC) are only possible once you have explored and exhausted all other avenues for resolution within your school, faculty or the Graduate School.

Academic matters – teaching and supervision

Coursework students should submit complaints about teaching standards to the relevant Head of School (or Head of Academic Unit).

HDR students should submit complaints about teaching or supervision standards to the Associate Dean (Research) in their faculty or their Institute's Deputy Director.

Before proceeding, all students should read:

If you are dissatisfied with the response of the Head of School, Associate Dean (Research) or Institute Deputy Director, you can submit an appeal, as relevant, to your faculty's Executive Dean or the Dean of the Graduate School.

More information is available in the Student Grievance Resolution Policy, Procedures and Guidelines.

Other academic matters

Other than assessment and teaching standards, other academic matters might include:

  • Admission to programs not governed by the Admissions and Enrolments Policy
  • Academic standing and showing cause
  • Mid-semester deferred exams
  • Changes to a finalised result
  • Cancellation of a scholarship
  • Matters relating to admission or enrolment in an HDR program
  • Responsible conduct of research.

Depending on the nature of the academic matter, your grievance might be dealt with by the University Senate, or by another relevant person or University body.

See sections 9.1 and 9.2 of the Student Grievance Resolution Procedures for more information.

Administrative matters – fees, policies and procedures etc.

The University's administration encompasses a wide range of areas, including fees refunds, late applications (e.g. a late application for a deferred end-of-semester exam), and University policies and procedures.

The best way to resolve your complaint will depend on what aspect of the University's administration your complaint is about.

A full list of administrative complaints areas is available in section 9.3 of the Student Grievance Resolution Procedures.

Staff and student conduct

If you have a complaint about the behaviour of a staff member or student, please refer to:

The University also has Discrimination and Harassment Contact Officers who you can approach for advice about your options and the best way to proceed.

The University has the following policies in place:

These policies, procedures and guidelines are all subsections of the University's broader Equity and Diversity Policy.

If the reported behaviour is deemed to be a serious criminal offence, it will be referred to the Queensland Police to be dealt with under the Queensland Criminal Code.

If the reported behaviour is about the conduct of a student, in some circumstances it may be treated as student misconduct.

University facilities and resources

If you have a complaint about the availability of university facilities and resources, including the Library, please see section 9.3 of the Student Grievance Resolution Procedures.

Matters relating to sexual misconduct aren't dealt with under the University’s grievance resolution process. Visit the UQ Respect website for information about reporting sexual misconduct. 

How to make a complaint

If you would like to submit a grievance, please first read section 7 of the Student Grievance Resolution Procedures. This section explains what to include in your complaint, along with timeframes and other important information.

Once you've read section 7, use the button below to submit a complaint through a secure form:

Submit a complaint

Complaints are directed to a secure external website to protect your privacy.


We welcome genuine complaints made in good faith and we are committed to providing an effective and transparent complaints management system.

We do not welcome complaints that are trivial, baseless, vexatious, or malicious.

Deliberate misuse of the complaints process is considered student misconduct and will be investigated according to the Student Integrity and Misconduct Policy.

Other ways to submit a complaint

If you are having problems using the secure form, you can email your complaint to or lodge a hard-copy at a Student Centre.

If you have a large amount of documentation, please submit your complaint on a USB drive at a Student Centre.

Help with the grievance resolution process

Representatives from your student union can take an advocacy role during the grievance resolution process. Contact the Education and Equity section of Student Help on Campus for more information.

Student Services staff can provide you with documents that may support your grievance, if needed.

If you initiate a meeting to resolve a grievance with a staff member or a student – or if you are invited to attend a meeting – you are allowed to bring a support person with you (in addition to, or instead of, a student union advocate).

The purpose of your support person is to be a neutral witness to the discussion. The support person must not be a legal representative or a currently practicing solicitor or barrister.

If your complaint is about discrimination or harassment, you can approach a Discrimination and Harassment Contact Officer who can provide you with advice about your options and the best way to proceed.

Appealing a decision

If you're unhappy with the outcome of a grievance resolution process, you can appeal. Go to section 9 of the Student Grievance Resolution Procedures to find out who you should submit your appeal to.

Once you've read section 9, use the button below to submit an appeal through a secure form:

Submit an appeal

Appeals are directed to a secure external website to protect your privacy.


We're here to help

Before you contact us, try browsing popular questions or searching the knowledge base.